- Teach a full load of high school-level English classes
- Manage a student load of between 60 and 80 students
- Nurture and support an advisee group of between 8 and 12 students
- Participate in the life of the school by attending athletic, arts, fundraising, and other school events
- Attend faculty and department meetings and other meetings as needed
- Chaperone school functions, such as dances and school trips as needed
- Participate on committees and task forces as needed
- Sponsor student clubs and activities as needed
- Maintain open lines of communication with students, parents, and colleagues
- Meet performance goals established as part of the annual performance planning process or as the result of organizational planning
- Actively engage in personal and professional work in support of the school’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor
Skills and Competencies:
- Sense of humor and demonstrated success working with teenagers
- Experience teaching foundational English skills
- Flexible and adaptable; able to teach Advanced Placement, standard, and elective English courses
- Facility with experiential education
- Ability to differentiate instruction
- Ability to design units and lessons with a backward design framework, such as Understanding by Design
- Ability to collaborate within and between departments both to advance the departments’ goals and to build interdisciplinary learning opportunities
- Capacity to maximize advantages of educational technology
- Experience in teaching high school English classes
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required; Master’s degree, relevant coursework, or relevant professional experience preferred
Must be willing and able to secure an Ohio Permanent Non-Tax certificate
or a professional teaching license. The school will support you in obtaining this once hired. However, it must be secured within the first six months of employment for compliance purposes.
All Maumee Valley employees and volunteers must agree to a comprehensive background check and confidentiality agreement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all personnel and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, or veteran status, ancestry, or citizenship, in accordance with applicable laws. In addition, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, benefits and training. We value a diverse workforce.
Any employee who believes they have been discriminated against may discuss this with their supervisor or the Head of School.HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete this 8-10 minute survey: https://go.apply.ci/s/E2UrzEp33W
- Email your documents in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Documents needed:
- MVCDS Application
- Cover letter, resume
- Three written professional letters of reference
- Copy of college transcripts.
- Please use the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
At Maumee Valley Country Day School, children dream, explore, and cultivate their passions and strengths. Our faculty and staff do the same. We are more than a school and more than a group of people. We are a community of lifelong learners who inspire joy. Founded in 1884 and the only PK-12 independent school in northwest Ohio, we support an accomplished and diverse student body within a progressive academic program.
A Maumee Valley education is Personal, Experiential, and Global. It is a journey of discovery and action that defines each child’s learning experience. Through an intentionally crafted curriculum, including active lessons as well as serendipitous explorations, a Maumee Valley education launches children toward the investigation of the world and helps them find their place in it. With our students at the center of our decision-making, we aspire to seek understanding, grow in our compassion and empathy, and adapt to the ever-changing world our students will one day lead.Maumee Valley is grounded in our Mission, Vision, Portrait of an MV Educator, Portrait of an MV Graduate, and commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
We believe in collaboration, innovation, and the power of community.