Maumee Valley is a community of lifelong learners. A Maumee Valley education is Personal, Experiential, and Global. As the only secular, PS-12 independent school in northwest Ohio, Maumee Valley supports an accomplished and diverse student body within a rigorous academic program on their journey to finding the right fit for college and career. Maumee Valley Country Day School’s mission is to enable students to become enlightened, compassionate and contributing citizens of our global community while preparing graduates for their best opportunities in higher education. Maumee Valley’s long-standing commitment to experiential education remains a hallmark of a student’s experience, where each student is guided through a personal journey carefully constructed in partnership with faculty advisors. Students come from all walks of life and all over the world where diverse learners, voices, stories, and experiences are heard in order to empower and educate our community members.
A Maumee Valley employee is a guide who orchestrates learning for students in ways that are
engaging, challenging and relevant. The successful candidate is a resourceful and innovative teacher who utilizes a range of pedagogical techniques in order to reach all learners. The community will feel safe, respected, and confident in the environment created by this candidate. We ask all of our employees to do the following:
Maumee Valley Country Day School is seeking a dedicated, flexible and compassionate individual to work with residential students in the Dayal House, a residence hall for 28 students in grades 8 -12. A good candidate has experience working with high school students, appreciates diversity and other cultures, is highly motivated and globally aware, is patient, takes initiative and exhibits strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Please note that boarding students will not have the same break schedule as day students. The students will remain on campus for a portion of winter/spring break. Residential staff will be required to be active during these time frames. The position reports to the Dean of Students. As a full-time employee, the position offers sick time, 2 personal days, and vacation. However, vacation must be used during the June/July break when students are away from campus (typically, June 13 - July 13). Personal days must be approved by your supervisor well in advance, per the MVCDS Personnel Policy. The schedule is determined by the Dean of Students with input from the staff.
Key duties and responsibilities of a house parent focus on the three main areas of residential life:
- Create, foster and maintain an environment rooted in academic and social success; establish a family-like atmosphere
- Provide support to students as they integrate into the community
- Mediate conflict
- Monitor students for changes in health and behavior
- Establish consistent relationships with students while maintaining professional boundaries
- Take advantage of informal opportunities to engage with students
- Provide leadership and direction for all non-academic activities
- Collaborate with the Dean of Students in planning and executing activities including, but not limited to, on-campus events, shopping trips, city visits, museum and theater trips, and athletic events. Many of these activities will be on weekends including a couple of overnight trips
- Collaborate with MVCDS staff to develop programs in order to integrate the day students with the boarding students.
- Assist in the organization and programming for the summer ESL program, including serving as a house parent.
Skills and Competencies:
- Ensure the safety and well-being of residential students while maintaining a quality of student life consistent with the philosophy and objectives of both the mission of the school and residential program
- Provide daily supervision and transportation to students on a rotating basis including nights, weekends, holidays, and break periods
- Respond to student emergencies with basic first aid
- Ensure the emotional and physical safety of students
- Respond to emergencies with established school protocol
- Enforce residential life policies
- Actively participate in the daily household operations: meal planning, grocery shopping, and cleaning and other duties
- Meet with Dean of Students on a bi-weekly basis
- Meet with International Student Coordinator on a bi-weekly basis
- Maintain clear communication with the Dean of Students & International Student Coordinator
- Patience, collaboration, conflict resolution, problem-solving
- Outstanding organization and communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills in relating well to students, staff, administration, parents, and the community
- Sensitivity in working with families, students, and staff from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Effective stress management skills
- Strong communications skills
- Advanced mentoring skills
The successful candidate will receive free room and board. A shared, unfurnished two bedroom, one bath apartment with in-house laundry will be provided. A one thousand dollar per month, per adult stipend is provided. All full-time employee benefits are afforded to the successful candidate, some of which include: vacation time, tuition remission, and medical benefits.
- Candidates must have a high school diploma; a college degree is preferred.
- Flexibility and ability to perform well under stress is a must.
- Clean criminal background check.
- The position requires First Aid certification, CPR, and school transportation certification.
All Maumee Valley employees and volunteers must agree to a comprehensive criminal background check.
How to apply:
Please email your documents in PDF format to email@example.com. Documents needed: MVCDS Application, cover letter, resume, and three written professional letters of reference. Please use the title of the position in the subject line of your email.